|The Easy Tool Rack.|
Of course I need to do this, and of course I need to make it unnecessarily complicated.
|First, let's go get some wood. On the bus.|
I think I want to cut a notch in the back of the side pieces and nail the back board directly onto the sides from the back, and I want a through, wedged mortise and tenon for the front rail. I'll think about how to attach the top later.
|My bowsaw does a good enough job roughing out the shape of the sides.|
In the hope of keeping these posts from getting too annoyingly long, I have figured out how to make GIF images, so hopefully you can see a little mini-slideshow of what I'm doing.
Once the shape was roughed out for the side pieces, I wanted to make them as close to perfectly the same as possible. I figured the easiest way to do that was to clamp them together and use spokeshaves to bring them down. My flat spokeshaves did a great job on the flat and convex parts, and I had to bring out a front-to-back curved spokeshave for the concave part.
I finished off the very bottom of the supports by marking the roundover with a coin, cutting a 45 degree piece off with my saw, and rasping it to final shape.
Once they were the same, I used a side-to-side curved spokeshave to put a gentle profile on it. Unfortunately this spokshave wouldn't touch the concave parts, but I do have a scraper I made a while back that happens to have the same profile.
|A mini-slideshow showing the shaping of the side supports.|
|After adding a chamfer to the top shelf, I added the roundover to the edge.|
|I ripped the tool support to width.|
|There's really no way to prevent this.|
I had a bit of a difficult time planing the faces of these boards, but it was easy to get them smooth with a card scraper.
|This pine scraped smooth just fine.|
Luckily, they were just sloppily glued in place. All eight pegs came out with just a little bit of twisting with my hands. I feel sorry for whoever buys these things expecting to use them to actually hold something. I'm sure the pegs would pop out after a short time of light use.
It was a quick matter to clean them up by scraping the PVA glue off of them. They were unfinished, so they only needed some sanding.
To mount them to my rack I drilled a stopped 10mm hole in the parts I had marked with a pair of dividers. After that, I used a smaller bit to go all the way through. A little hide glue and a screw from the back hold these pegs securely. And I mean, securely. These pegs aren't coming off without destroying something on this piece.
|Here's another mini-slideshow documenting the mounting of the pegs.|
|Yet another GIF showing the routing of the mortises.|
|Mocked up, it is looking good.|
Next up, milk paint.