Monday, April 22, 2019

Japanese Toolbox-Style Humidor - Part II: The Inside

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you'll remember I recently finished a Japanese toolbox-style box intended to be a humidor.
My Japanese toolbox-style humidor.
I made it out of laminated scots pine (Pinus sylvestrus) and nails. I was a bit concerned that it might not work very well at keeping the humidity where it should be for cigars (I like 55% to 75% relative humidity).

Also there was a real possibility The Frau might steal it and convert it into some kind of jewelry box or something.

I was lucky in the fact that it wasn't stolen, and it seemed to keep the humidity where it should be.

The box seems to maintain humidity perfectly.
A proper cigar humidor needs to be lined with Spanish cedar (Cedrela odorata). The aroma of this wood is very complimentary to cigars. In fact, most fine cigars come in a box that has this type of cedar in it. That's why I kept my cigars in the original box, and put the whole box in the humidor.

It turns out that I can get plenty of this type of cedar through the mail from Comercial Pazos for a reasonable price.
Strangely, the Spanish term for Spanish cedar is Brazilian cedar.
The block of wood I got was 85mm x 65mm x 400mm. I needed strips of this in five or six millimeter thicknesses. That means it's time to resaw.
I use a sawblade clamped to my bench on a spacer the correct thickness to start a kerf.
This makes it easy for the saw to stay where it should.
Just a few minutes work.
Rinse and repeat.
While planing these to a smooth finish, I wound up with a bunch of awesome smelling shavings all over. I decided to keep them. I stuffed them in large tea bags and taped them shut. I suppose if I have to transport cigars in a Ziploc, one of these thrown in might help.
At a minimum they'll keep the bugs out of my sock drawer.
Once I had some pieces marked out for length for the sides and bottom of the box, I had some shorter lengths left over. After all that work resawing, I thought it a shame if I didn't use the scraps. I used them in the ends.

I edge glued them to a longer piece, then fit the whole thing in the end. This panel doesn't have to be particularly strong, because it will be captured by the pieces I'll put on the bottom and sides.

I chose not to glue any of the lining in, so that it can be removed and replaced if needed.
Self-made Leimholz used on the ends of the box.
Next was the lining for the floor. I was able to use only two pieces. I left a little room for them to contract and expand, but I don't really expect that to be a problem. Better safe than sorry, that is.

The side pieces went in next. I made them so they went up about half way to where the bottom of the lid goes. The cool part about this is the till will ride on these two pieces, so the till will be no narrower than the bottom compartment when it is all finished.
The lining in the box.
So far, I think it looks and smells great. It is all tight enough that it stays put with no glue. I also did not plane much on the faces that touch the pine. I left them pretty rough, right off the saw.

So far I think this is a fine upgrade to this cigar box.

Next up, the till.

If you haven't seen it, check out Part I.


  1. You realy are produsing a lot of projects these days. Looks like a lot of fun!

    1. Hey Ty! Thanks. It's been raining like cats and dogs here, so no temptation to go outside.