This, however, isn't one of those blogs.
Right before I left, I was commissioned to build a boarded book case. I just finished it and I think it turned out very well.
|Finished book case. I wish I could take better pictures of it. None of the pics I have seem to do it justice.|
I decided to make it about 80 cm wide and about 91 cm high (why not?).
I used some of my favorite plastic-wrapped laminated pine from the home center. I really like the stuff here because it is a good quality, and the laminations always are full-length. There are no end-to-end laminations in this stuff. Also, I can usually find boards that are mostly straight and have few knots.
Since it was intended to be used with kids, I borrowed one of my wife's pot lids from the kitchen to lay out a roundover on the top front edges. If I forget to mention it later, I cut it out with my Dick saw, clamped the pieces together, and cleaned everything up with a spokeshave and a rasp.
I started this project out by cutting the boards to length according to my cut list. Then I went to work on the dadoes.
|I cut dadoes with my Dick saw, chop the waste out roughly with a chisel, then finish them with a router plane.|
|I would recommend this upgrade to Lee Valley blades if you can.|
|The idea behind using screws here is to replace them with Roman nails after I paint, for an even paint job.|
Plus, it was easier.
It turns out that once I got to this point, I realized the boards I had for the back were about a half inch to an inch too short. If I nailed them flush with the top of the bookcase, there was a gap before the board got to the bottom shelf. Ooops!
To fix this I decided to glue and screw a backer to the cross-rail that I had already inset into the top of the case. It was about half the width of that cross rail, so the back boards now go from that extension all the way beyond the bottom shelf so it looks just fine.
As an added benefit, there is a lot less endgrain showing on the top of the case now. Only a little on the sides that has been painted.
|Gluing my necessity-invented backer extender thingie.|
|I planed all the sticky-out parts flush with the carcass.|
|This leaves room for baseboards.|
|Gluing on the toe-kick. Once it was clamped up, I drilled pilot holes and nailed it from the side.|
Once the paint was on, I could replace the screws with Roman nails. The large heads of these nails cover up any evidence of the screws.
|Putting a nail in a screw-hole.|
Luckily I only had one French mark on this case, and it wasn't too severe. If my client doesn't read this blog, he will never know.
All that was left at this point was to chamfer the sharp bits and add a coat or two of BLO.
|I used a block plane for the chamfers.|
It was easy enough that I didn't really have a problem on this round part.
|The oil really put a nice finish on this chalk paint.|
|I put some paint on my carved detail, but didn't bother with painting the back.|