Monday, June 10, 2013

Spear & Jackson (BadAxe-ified)

This is what I would consider the very first "decent" backsaw I have ever owned.


I feel like this saw is an extension of my hand when I use it.

I got it from Mark Harrell at BadAxe Toolworks.  It is a Spear & Jackson 10" backsaw with a steel spine that I use for dovetailing.  It is hard to tell from the photo (which is actually a scan), but the saw plate is shiny and new.  At least it was in 2010.  Mark put a brand new saw plate on this old saw.  It definitely makes a sweet user.  I don't know much about the dating of S&J saws.  Perhaps someone out there knows when this beauty was built?

I've recently bought a bunch of used backsaws from eBay, with the intention of learning how to rehab them.  Over the weekend I spent some time following the links around on the Old Ladies blog, and I think that I am ready to try making a new saw handle.  While I'm at it, I should finally get around to repairing the chipped bits on this one.

Here are a couple of shots of this saw handle that one should be able to print out and use as a template.  The lines in the photos are one inch squares.  You should double check before you start that the template printed exactly the way you want.  Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. Good post Brian. I love those type handles, and might try it on one of my backsaws. That grid will come in handy. Also like the Old Ladies blog link.

    Take care
    AL
    www.woodworkingwithajo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AL. The Old Ladies blog seems to have a good collection of everything you ever needed to know about hand saws, and then some.

      Delete
  2. Love the curves on that handle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, I think the curves on this handle are perfect. I'm thinking of giving making a backsaw from scratch a try. If I do, it will be A copy of this saw (at least for the first one).

      One detail that is my favorite is the little double line on the bevel where the spine enters the handle. It can be seen clearest in the last photo.

      Delete