|The finished spokeshave.|
Me being me, I took it as a challenge to see how this project works without one.
Since there is plenty of instructions out there, including the instructions that come with the Veritas kit, I'll try to be brief with this post and focus on the parts that I did by hand that often are done another way.
The first thing I did was get an apropriate blank of wood for the body of the spokeshave. I had some blocks of air dried sycamore that were perfect for this. Sycamore has a beautiful pattern when it is perfectly quartersawn.
While a table saw is great for sizing a blank of wood like this in a few seconds, I like to do this by hand as I find it easier to get a perfectly quartersawn piece out of any blank of wood. This one happened to be almost two inches square, and riftsawn.
I planed a couple of quick chamfers on the edges in order to clamp it to my sawbench. Laying out and ripping to the required angle was simple.
|Making quartersawn wood from riftsawn.|
The next bit was drilling holes for the posts that hold the blade. It requires two different sizes of holes for this particular kit, as the adjusters are tapped into the wood.
This needs to be done precisely, and it is highly recommended to use a drill press if you have one.
But, it isn't absolutely necessary.
I find that I can drill fairly accurately with just a little practice. Also, it always helps to keep your chin or your forhead on the back end of the drill, whether it is an eggbeater like this, a brace, or even a hand held electric drill.
To increase accuracy even further, I accurately marked both sides of the blank, and went in half way from either side, meeting in the middle.
|I try to keep everything as stable as possible, and put my chin on the handle of the eggbeater.|
|This worked, but I would rather use a tap handle next time.|
Unfortunately, I didn't have a hacksaw, either.
To solve this, I had a serrated all-purpose Chinese knife that I found in the kitchen. It took a while, but it eventually did the job.
|I marked the brass, clamped it to a piece of wood to use as a guide.|
|This worked great.|
|This was quick and easy.|
|Now it is shaping up to look like a spokeshave.|
|Front view. I really like the look of QS sycamore.|
|The bottom. There are some gaps that are cosmetic flaws because I could only get a metric drill bit rather than the required 5/16" bit recommended in the instructions.|
|I even picked up some cool wood for the large ones: leopard wood and goncalo alves.|