When we left off, I was attaching shiplapped boards to the back. Now it's time for the front. After I cut the top piece to length, I drilled pilot holes, only to realize too late that the pilots going into the case actually cross nails that are in the side holding the shelf up.
|Attaching the front.|
|Trimmed the nails.|
|Mark them out one inch from the ends and clamp to bench,|
|Saw to the line, including a couple of clearance cuts.|
|Pop out the middle with a chisel.|
|Rip it to width, and a long grain shooting set up keeps the edge square.|
|Done my usual way - aka Richard Maguire's way.|
|These nails are ideal for this.|
|Extra cutouts for clearance of the drop front battens.|
|These square nails are fun to clinch, and look better than wire nails.|
|Making milk paint.|
|Just like the drop front.|
|A happy coincidence, my Dick saw fits between the battens of the lid!|
Because of the way it was constructed, it required a little bit of a different install.
|There needs to be clearance for the entire barrel.|
|Installed. Ugly screws.|
|It's not what you think, it's apple cider vinegar!|
To install them, I need to excavate all the wood where the handle needs to go. I chopped most of it out with a chisel, and finished it off with a home-made router.
|I sharpened it on my diamond stone.|
|I first went down only the thickness of the metal,|
|then I routed the cavity for the handle.|
|I like it.|
BTW, I've discovered that drill bits made to fit in a cordless drill work exceptionally well in an eggbeater. The bit doesn't ever slip.
|A new 5mm brad point bit.|
The screws and machine screws will get the Benchcrafted flaxseed oil treatment.
Only, I have boiled linseed oil here, so I'll use that.
Basically, after washing the parts, I dropped them all in a small jar of BLO. When I removed them, I dried them off with a paper towel, and put them on a piece of tinfoil in our toaster oven.
|Naturally, only when the Frau is at work.|
|They turned out great! You can't even see the screws on the handle from here.|
|As long as I score the cross grain ahead of time, it works great!|
|Then I rounded it over with my BU jack.|
|Screw on the casters.|
|Sweet pepper, and yellow paella colorant.|
So far the yellow colorant works extremely well. The Frau loves the color and wants me to keep it this way. I'm not so sure, I'll have to think about that.
Next post we'll find out!