The next problem was that the cutting edge was just about as dull as the back. This will need some grinding.
I have been waiting for an excuse to re-mount my hand-cranked grinder to a place where it would be a bit more stable and where I could mount my tool rest. I thought I would make my saw bench into a grinding platform when the need arises.
After excavating a huge hole in the middle, which didn't work (and had I thought the process through, I would have realized it), I settled on the below configuration.
|Saw bench come grinding station.|
Moving on, I made do, and ground the knife to a rough shape.
It turned out rough, indeed. But, going through the grits on my waterstones, I finally got a suitable edge. It took a couple hours all together, but I suspect maintaining this edge should be easier now.
|Here's a better view of the logo|