Sunday, April 7, 2013

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

I am tolerant of rants, but generally yawn my way through them.  The internet is full of opinions, and the only one that really matters is mine.  :o)

I have made attempts on my blog to back up my rants with some practical examples.  Recently, I even built a pair of panels solely to prove a point hoping one would fail.  You can read about the results here.

I was thrilled to read a post today by Jack Plane in which he rants about misinformation spread about hide glue.

And, he does a test piece to back up his point.

Check out his post called The Efficacy of Animal Glue.

I love stuff like this.

3 comments:

  1. Not one of Jack's usual posts, but a good one none-the-less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I have anything against hide glue, I just don't have easy access to it. On the same token, I can't say that I've ever had a problem with PVA.
    As far as rants go, I have had my fair share, and I agree wholeheartedly that you should have something other than your opinion to back up your opinion. At the same time, I've seen many cases where people have just blindly repeated the opinions of other woodworkers without any real world experience to back it up. That has been the subject of my rants since I've been doing it. It's real easy to just repeat somebody's opinion; it's a lot harder to develop your own ideas and make them a reality. Sorry, I'm starting to rant.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally for me, when I rant it is usually me trying to figure something out in my head. By the time it is written and posted, I feel a lot more confident. If it is strictly opinion, I try to say so, but if it is something concrete, I'll try to use an example from my own shop. I think rants would be a lot more fun to read if more people did it this way.

      Delete