Please bear with this post as it is a bit longer than usual. I didn't realize I did so much to my chest since the last post. If you'd like to skip through, this post has three main sections: 1) Layout of the main compartment, 2) Saw racks on the lid, and 3) Painting a bad ass bit of graffiti on the lid.
|The chest now parked in it's spot.|
|First was making new lock pieces for the fall front out of ash.|
Next, I found an old hunk of American birch rolling around since I bought it online years ago. It happened to be the perfect width I needed, and it was flat sawn. If I cut a hunk off the end, I will wind up with two quarter sawn sticks that should be nice and stable.
|Resawing the birch.|
To do this, I left my stock double thickness, and did the piercing to the whole thing at once.
|Drilled 5/8" holes for the hearts.|
|Fret saw the rest away, followed by a little rasp work.|
|Once the piercing is done, resaw to near final thickness.|
|5 point teeth right in the middle of my heart.|
|Two identical hearts.|
|My face planing set up.|
|This works a little better for the final pass.|
|A coat of beeswax and they are done.|
|I think they look cute.|
Hehe, I said "butt."
I used Roman nails on the ends, and cut nails in the middle. This was a lot of trouble, and I would recommend avoiding all that and use wire nails. This till is trapped inside the chest, so it does not need to be particularly strong.
|Someday I might make a new one, but it seems to work.|
|Plane till fit. It is in with a friction fit, no nails to secure it to the chest.|
I like the flexibility of a loose rack rather than individual holes for each tool. To each his own.
My thought with this was to use Spax screws where they would be covered up, and more expensive brass screws where they would show.
|First hanging tool rack completed.|
|Here is a view of the front of the chest from the inside.|
|Second rack installed.|
|Tools in the chest.|
First things first, I wanted a rack for my Dick saw that would allow the bow saw to be mounted behind.
|Clamped and laid out for the cut.|
|Once the saw cuts were made, chisel to depth.|
|Test fit. Perfect!|
|Now to lay out an opening for the latch.|
|Once this is cleaned up, it will be great.|
|This was really pretty simple.|
|Here is a photo of everything installed.|
|Another one with the saws installed.|
The answer, some spacers!
|An easy fix.|
|Here they are installed. Everything fits perfectly now!|
|Notice I have some scrapers in here.|
|The open chest in it's spot.|
|First step, make a template!|
|Second step, mark centers and rough in an oval.|
|Third step, drive some nails (there's particle board under there).|
|Fourth step, tie a string as long as the distance of the long axis of the oval (distance between the two other nails). Put the loops on the top nail.|
|Fifth step, use a pencil to draw where the string crosses the line.|
|This is where we are now. Drive nails at those spots.|
|Sixth step, attach one end of the string to each new nail.|
|Seventh step, trace the oval!|
|Now stick it to the chest...|
|And spray the crap out of it.|
|Haha! This is fun!|
|Now attach the second stencil, and spray.|
If you are still reading this, kudos to you. I wanted a video about ten minutes long, but wound up with one more than twice that. If you're a glutton for punishment, and want to see how I loaded the tools in there, here is a pair of videos.