I did cheat a little, in so far as I smoothed one side of a board I am using and ripping it to width. My excuse is I needed to know the dimensions of this board in order to finish the design of my piece.
Which I am doing in my head and on the fly.
Here is my plan so far:
Basically it will be an open-topped bookshelf, but instead of shelves, there will be a bank of two drawers.
I want it to be a bit modern, as well as a bit rustic. Therefore I have chosen an idea to be angular, with a couple of old Bavarian piercings.
The wood will be pine Leimholz from the home center, which isn't ideal, but it is what is available to me, as well as a rather special board for the drawer fronts.
The drawer fronts are from a board that was sent to me from Australia. Kerryn Carter of @toolschool fame was randomly selected in a giveaway I did on Instagram. The only way I could get her to accept it was to allow her to send me a couple of bits of scrap Australian wood in return.
One of the boards she sent was this really neat flat sawn bit of black wattle. I look forward to seeing what this piece will look like.
|Start of the drawer fronts.|
|My planing setup for this piece.|
|The start of today - nice and clean. Not for long, I fear.|
I want to use a soap finish on the pine parts, and a beeswax finish on the drawer fronts.