I thought I would do another experiment today. As if I haven't beaten the dead horse to death until it was dead regarding my lap-joint try square, I decided to make four more today.
|An old photo, as my camera is not here today.|
Now that I think I am getting pretty good at making these lap joints using only a Ryoba saw and a pair of chisels, I figure I can show you what having the use of the tool porn in my chest can do.
I first squared up all of the stock for these four squares using some rift-sawn oak for the blades and some not-ideal-but-pretty-with-knots-in-it walnut for the stocks. I noticed after I completed this step that I did everything up to this point with my Basic Tool Kit (BTK, a jack plane, ryoba saw, pair of chisels, and some marking tools).
I guess since I have been using these tools almost exclusively lately, I am really getting to know them and like them.
I laid out all of the joints, and then set the timer.
With my BTK, two squares took 49 minutes to cut the two lap joints.
For the other pair, I used a Spear & Jackson dovetail saw, a BadAxe crosscut sash saw, a Lie-Nielsen router plane and a Lie-Nielsen large shoulder plane. These two squares took 45 minutes to cut the joinery.
I'm also not sure that they look any better.
At first glance, adding $700-$800 worth of tools to the mix gained me a whopping four minutes.
I think, however, that this really wasn't a fair test.
I noticed that while I was perfectly comfortable cutting the joints with my BTK (having made several of these exact same try squares over the last few weeks), that this is the first time I have used my 'regular' tool kit to make this square. Every time there was something to fix, I wanted to go back to my chisel. Trimming the shoulders of the joint was cumbersome, because I wasn't used to doing it that way. I could get the shoulder nice and flat, but when I test fit the joint, it was way off square and took quite a bit of fiddling with before everything was nice and square.
Today, I found out that lots of nice tools, even "essential" ones, take some practice to master. My guess is that in the hands of someone accustomed to using these same tools I have, these two joints probably could be cut and fit in about ten minutes. That will be my goal.
Pictures of these try squares will be forthcoming, once I get the clamps off and finish them up. You will be able to see my joinery and the differences between them.
On a related note, I have plenty of try squares for sale!