My woodworking has been in a funk lately, and the idea of this board in the first place was something quick and easy that I could do to get me back in the swing of woodworking.
Maybe it'll work this time.
Anyway, I finished the game board.
|The original, made a long time ago. I took many liberties, but I think it will do.|
The part that I was most dreading was carving the rosettes. I intended to chip carve them, but was unsure of my skill, since I have never chip carved anything before. So I thought about it for about it for around eight months.
I found my test piece the other day, and it didn't look as horrible as I thought it did when I made it. I decided if I did that, it would be better than not finishing it at all.
I also figured out that I didn't need to chip carve, at all. That was too hard to learn on this hard wood. So, instead, I took an old gouge I happened to have, sharpened it up, and used it to make the leafy shapes, and cleaned up with my new chip carving knife. Finally, I used my chisel to mark the outer outlines.
|Rosette. It could have been worse.|
|Not sure why I used blue tape, but it did make some nice layout lines.|
|The only thing not eyeballed was the location of the eyeballs. I used dividers for those.|
|I have no idea what the purpose of most of these tiles will be in the game, but they sure do look cool!|
|Red and blue rosettes.|
I went with it.
|I learned spit-shining in the Army.|
|Don't worry, I'm not done yet.|
Now it is time to clean it up. I sharpened my smoothing plane and set it for extremely light cuts. I didn't want to plane my newly blackened lines away, only to have to re-carve, re-blacken, and re-plane-them-away again.
|Cleaning up the shoe polish.|
This didn't turn out perfect, but I like the effect.
After this was done, I treated it to a coat of my super-secret-home-refined linseed oil.
|I like this effect.|
|Not quite complete, but I do have some functional dice.|
AARIf I build another one of these, there are some things I really like, and some things I'd do differently.
- It might be a good idea to do the carving before planing and sawing away the grooves. There was some blowout in a few spaces because there was nothing to support the fragile edges when chopping a decorative line near the edge. Or not. Perhaps a backing piece would be a better idea.
- The shoe polish was a great idea. But, it gets in the grooves no matter what. Go with it, or mask it. But with a wood like this, the black will stay in the pores of the wood.
- Try to complete the next one in less than nine months.
- Cutting the rosettes with a gouge was a masterstroke: I never could have achieved such uniformity with a carving knife. Maybe others could.
Next I'll have to come up with a plan for the game pieces. Stay tuned!
If (like me) you've forgotten all about this project and want to read all the posts about how I got to this point, they are all here.