One thing I have been missing while I'm trying to cut out some legs for the table is a pair of winding sticks. I decided I must have some for this project, so I made a pair.
|My version of winding sticks.|
|Two sticks of sycamore, with center buttons installed.|
I used my eggbeater drill, and after accurately marking the center point on each side of each stick, I drilled in half way from one side, flipped them and drilled the rest of the way on the other. This method worked perfectly for me. Zero tearout, and the skewers filled the holes perfectly.
|Bamboo skewers to mark the center points of the winding sticks.|
I chopped out space for the inserts with a chisel and mallet, used hide glue and clamped them in.
|Clamp on the insert.|
|All glued together.|
|My home-made BLO.|
UPDATE: I wasn't too happy with one of the inserts, so I removed it and replaced it. If you would like to see my blog posts on that, see the next post.