Saturday, September 2, 2017

Tetrahedron Fail #1 (Part II)

After looking at Sylvain's first drawing, I thought I had this figured out. "Easy!" I thought.
It's not the camera angle that makes it look wonky, it really is that way.
Perhaps I should go back and read his description.

What I thought I would do was lay out a perfect equilateral triangle one a stick, and cut out the tetrahedron using nothing to measure but a pair of dividers.






That doesn't work.

But, I learned something. Stay tuned for my second attempt...

2 comments:


  1. Keep going! You can do it! (Says the guy who wants someone else to figure this out so he can build one ;) ) I think you have an additional annual build off; Ancient Board games. This is so interesting, I haven't the foggiest of how to lay these out. I'm still studying Sylvain's sketch. I think the dice, however, are the most important item to the fun of the game. Getting a zero role. I'm sure there are games that have that happen, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. 6 sided dice will always have an outcome.

    Take Care,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris!

      I think my big error was I originally laid out the stick as an equilateral triangle. Sylvain says, essentially, that the base, (a) is a little longer than the sides, (b). To figure it out, multiply the base times .866, and you'll have the length of your shorter sides.

      At least that is what I am trying.

      Also, I recommend doing as I do, and try it out on some scrap pine before using all your ebony up.

      :o)

      Delete