Tuesday, April 25, 2017

lie-Nielsen Event in Madrid

Today I had the pleasure of taking the fast train to Madrid for an LN event at Comercial Pazos in Madrid, Spain. In Europe, there aren't a whole lot of businesses that sell woodworking hand tools, so it was neat to visit the single one in Spain.

The shop itself is not big, but it's crammed to the gills with cool stuff. I'll definitely go back.

Curtis Turner was the LN representative, and his knowledge of woodworking was fascinating to all who attended. He was hosted by two Spanish woodworkers, Lorenzo and Israel.

Here are some photos of the day.






6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great event.
    Cheers
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! The #3 with a 55° frog is a nice tool.

      Delete
  2. Very cool, this look like my kind of place I like to stumble upon while travelling... Oh look Dear a woodworking store can we go in? :-)

    Curious to know if they have local brands, and which ones??

    Bob, the International travelled woodworker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob!

      There were a few local brands there. The planes look like they weren't too nice, but the clamps look fantastic. I might have to get some.

      Delete
  3. It was very funny when I gave Curtis a piece of "encina"(quercus family),a very hard and difficult spanish wood specie and he refussed to compromise the outcome of such an expensive tools, beside using a low angle plane to cut with the grain is the big mistake I have been seeing for so many years, in beginners and proffessionals. I have only found one person in the world, who understand the true meaning of the pitch(angle of cut) in planes and woodworking in general. Plus my students, whom I fortunately have the chance to explain it. Nice to meet you Brian, hope to see you at Lignorum in june again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was reluctant to cut that wood not because of the plane, but because he was trying to not use up very many materials that belonged to the store.

      It would have been good to see what that plane could do on that wood, though. I bet it would have done fine, as he had the blade sharpened at something like a 40° angle, which resulted in a 57° cutting angle.

      I find my BU jack does just fine on most woods with a 45° cutting angle or less, as long as it is sharp.

      Cheers!

      Delete