To recap my progress up to this point, I built this bench in a class with Christopher Schwarz at Dictum in June. Once it was home, I put it in my little cave of a workshop in the basement, after cleaning out a bunch of the old junk.
|New bench freshly installed in the Bat-Cave.|
|Scrubbing off the hump.|
|My Krenov-style scrub plane in action.|
|It leaves a fairly pronounced scalloped surface.|
|It even worked well on the end grain.|
I actually have been using this bench in this state. I completed a Krenov-style laminated jointer that I needed for the flattening process.
Now that I have the face vice done, I feel like it is time to flatten the bench.
|First, I emptied the shop and cleaned the corners. All my stuff went in the hallway for a couple days. Sorry, neighbors!|
This worked great. I started by knocking down the high spots. Just make sure to put a small chamfer on the far side to prevent most of the blow-out.
|Toothed blade with an aggressive cut.|
Next up, joint the top going with the grain. My new Krenov jointer has been tested and I find it does what it is supposed to superbly. The only problem with it is that the mouth tends to clog up if you don't remove the shavings after each pass. When using it on an uneven surface (such as this one that has toothing plane tracks on it) the mouth fills up and clogs with all of the dust. Nothing seems to eject.
I don't think this is necessarily a problem with my construction, just a limitation of this style, with the cross-pin designed as it is. This is a finesse tool, and cleaning up toothing plane tracks is not a finesse job.
Out came the regular blade for the jack plane, and a few minutes along the grain and the tracks were mostly gone. NOW it's time for the jointer.
|This is probably my favorite plane of the moment.|
I have to say I am impressed with how this bench works. It made me realize that I have never before had the opportunity to work on a truly flat work surface. What a treat!
Now all that is left is the sliding deadman, and finish. I am thinking about painting the legs with milk-paint to match my sawbench and toolchest. The top will either be left unfinished, or perhaps some boiled linseed oil. I haven't decided yet.
In the meantime, this bench is perfectly functional and I intend to use the snot out of it.
Next up: Complete the tills in the toolchest. I have been hung up on this because I am reluctant to resaw the wood I have to make the tills. Luckily, Steve Branam has posted a how-to today that makes me excited to try it.
Wish me luck!
I selected this post to be featured on Woodworking Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!