The good news is I finished it.
|My handle next to a Gramercy Ray Isles mortise chisel.|
You'll remember I left off with this photo:
The other part of this project that was important was layout. I started with an oversize block of beech. Once the chisel was mostly seated, I drew new layout marks on the blank consisting of centerlines based on the blade of the chisel, since it was expectedly off-center now.
With that done, I marked the shape of the handle from the center points. This handle is essentially square and tapers in both directions from small at the bolster to bigger at the end.
Once that was marked, I used my Dick Saw (a Ryoba Japanese pull saw from Dictum's line of tools labeled "Dick") to cut on my lines for the rough shape of the handle.
From there it was just a matter of cleaning everything up. I had the best luck with my block plane, although I did chew up the blade pretty well by the time it was done. I suppose I knicked the metal bolster a time or two, and a scraper.
Once the general shape felt good in my hand, I did no more measuring. I figured I could have chased my tail all night getting everything perfect. In the end, the tool should work, even if it isn't millimeter perfect.
|Cleaning up the ratty bits with my block plane...|
|...and my card scraper.|
|I might re-do the chamfers on the end to make them much bigger.|
|On the other hand, it doesn't look so bad.|
|It is quite comfortable to hold.|
|Here is one finished stick. 15 more and I'll be able to start the joinery!|
|A preview of the top of the table.|
Next time I will glue up the panel, plane the bottom flat and install some cross battens to keep the panel flat over time.